This is the landing page for a project to review IST offerings for content management services.
Sponsors: Michael Mundrane, David Greenbaum
Data Services: Patrick McGrath (lead), Noah Wittman
Client Services: Susan Tobes (Customer Lead)
Application Services: Tom Tsai (supported by Vahid and Wendy). Bill Allison overseeing.
Infrastructure Services: Michael Leefers, Jack Shnell
COIS: Brian Wood
Office of CIO, Operational Excellence: Liz Marsh
Suggest the following:
- Patrick - Agenda (5 mins)
- Intros - Team members and the services they are representing (10 mins)
- David and Michael - sponsor perspectives (10 mins)
- Patrick - confirmation of roles, key deliverables and proposed timelines (10 minutes)
- Discussion of individual vs. group meetings, the best way to collaborate.
- General discussion (10 mins)
5-6 weeks. Suggest the following:
Finalize deliverable and interview framework based on confirmation of outcomes from sponsors
Interviews of service providers
Interviews of SAC, Customer reps
Draft of report. Review by participants.
Presentation of recommendations to IST Directors
If there are opportunities to pull this in, we will do what we can.
- Description, status and comparison of IST offerings
- Description of campus need, and alignment with IST offerings
- Analysis and observations
- Organizational approach for platform, service, support
- Next steps
... for finalization after the kickoff. Discussion with Shel also beneficial based on discussions he has initiated with UCSD/Hannon Hill
- What does success on this project look like?
- What are the key outcomes our senior management want to see?
Key decision drivers. What are the key decisions we want to make?
- business. e.g. what customer outcomes, what IST outcomes, fit to campus market, cost of delivery
- alignment to OE
- Standards, open source?
- Extensibility as development platform.
- Transitional issues for products/services we wish to deemphasize
Analysis will be performed at a very high level, largely derived from interviews with our team members and a small amount of followup. Sample questions, to be further developed:
- Market analysis (more directed to SAC and customer reps)
- What are the campus' perceptions with the offering?
- How is the product/service currently being sold?
- Market perception of current offerings
- How many groups are leveraging the same core products outside IST (other implementations across campus).
- Functional needs/priorities, gaps and overlaps. where's the pain.
- Pricing abilities of what sectors
- Should we be providing this in house, outsourced?
- Who are the main campus and non-campus competitors for the IST solution? (implying service overlaps)
- Question to Susan: Could we get an interim SAC established around this issue to provide targeted input. How would we do this, how to position the project, and services.
- Delivery of current services / programs (More directed to
- Customers - who are we dealing with? # end users, # developers/departments, customer demographics.
- How is the service being used, to satisfy what objectives?
- Key functional attributes - comparison over very high level standardized functional/technical/business framework (to be developed)
- In what phase is the current service being delivered (e.g. production, beta, etc.). for how long
- Major platform / service strengths and weaknesses. how would you compare the offering to other offerings
- How does the campus influence what and how the solution is delivered
- Financial performance
- How is the service performing financially, if applicable
- What is the support cost model, how many staff, who, what level of expertise needed to support, external maintenance/support needed etc.
- What is the pricing model for each new user/site
- Who supports the product in IST
- What level of customization / configuration / consulting is necessary to roll out to a new department or user?
- At a high level, vendor positioning, vendor positioning within UC
- How is the solution scaled. how easy to open up to campus? what reliance on consulting? abilities to outsource?
- Is there an established service champion for the service?
- what is the current longer term strategic vision of the service offering
- How does this product/service interact/interoperate/integrate with other campus/uc offerings.
- file sharing, web mountable storage
- document management
- digital asset, image management
- web content management (portal, wiki, blog, etc.)
To be typed in on the 5th.