For context on the nature and purpose of Theme Groups, as well as a complete list of Theme Groups and their definitions, please visit this page's parent, Theme Groups
Scholarly activities listed as part of each Theme Group are harvested from contributions to Themes pages during the community design period between Workshop One and Workshop Two. Lists of scholarly activities are not intended or expected to be comprehensive. Making the included activities more comprehensive and defining each at an appropriate level of detail is expected to be an activity of working groups in the period between Workshops Two and Three.
"Aggregate" encompasses the set of activities scholars perform to acquire and organize artifacts that an inquiry (study, exploration) will address. "Aggregate" has a more temporary or provisional character than "Preserve," and perhaps a more local or individual character as well; but many of the same automation services are likely to apply.
Scholarly Activities in this Theme Group
- Obtain local copy (for off-line access, annotation, transformation, etc.)
- Transform an artifact to ready it for scholarly inquiry (transcribe a text (e.g., OCR), translate a text, transform one image format to another, score a piece of music, etc.)
- Group local copies of materials into sets appropriate to one or more scholarly inquiries in which the materials play a part
- Organize discovered materials in a relational database
- Organize discovered materials in an RDF store
- Organize discovered materials in a distributed, column-oriented store (e.g., Hadoop)
- Applies to all "Gather" activities:
- Discover access constraints (e.g., copyright restrictions)
- Comply with access constraints (e.g., copyright restrictions)
- Obtain and record permission to gather/transform/analyze/annotate/etc. (e.g., fair use determination, permission grant from copyright holder, etc.)
- Represent (e.g., list or visualize) access constraints (e.g., copyright restrictions) across a heterogeneously-constrained set of objects