Scheduled DB Maintenance: January 21st - 8:00 AM to 10:00 AM. Confluence will be unavailable during this time.

Navigation:
Documentation
Archive



Page Tree:

Child pages
  • January 2011 Meeting - Wrap Up Notes

This wiki space contains archival documentation of Project Bamboo, April 2008 - March 2013.

Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Upload presentations and meeting notes about Wrap Up Notes to this page.

Success Statements proposed by each table group

NW table – Jim M.: We built some good stuff that people are using and liking and people are giving us feedback on and we built it together

SW table – Bridget: An end to end demonstration of the platform that scholars and developers want to use, extend and build upon. It must have a demonstrated user communited who have validated it as being useful and enabling. As an example, a user can use the workspace to search the Hathi Trust, select texts of interest, submit them to a service Hathi doesn't provide (such as morphology analysis) sort and filter the results, store them in a workspace and share them with a select group of users.

Middle table – Jim Smith: Community appreciates Bamboo. Have something people can download.

SE table – Doug Moncour: Deliver something. That something works, and does something useful. Useful includes access to content, processing, and is extensible.

NE table – Tim Cole: We will have succeeded if Bamboo has some real stuff, real place, real tools; work spaces that work; and we've allowed enough time to have cycles for feedback and for buzz.

Martin Wynne: these are, overall, not so much "success" as "what are we delivering"

Common themes proposed by meeting participants after the success statements above were read/described by each table group from flip chart called "Success Summary" – recorded by Marlita 
  • stuff that works -well defined and feasible
  • real
  • feedback loop
  • useful and uptake/used
  • together
  • exciting/positive
  • extensible
  • End to end:
    • broad appeal
  1. General Story
  2. Broad appeal of 1 end-to-end

"Bambootable"

Notes left behind by mysterious stranger with great handwriting (transcribed by MK)
  • stuff that works
    • Stuff: console, deliverable
  • funding
  • clear road map for phase 2
    • v1 product in use
    • ideas about what researchers need -differently
  • people don't hate Bamboo - not afraid to be associated with it, convinced that Bamboo might do something useful
  • evidence of adoption
    • MLA panel, etc
    • paper publlished in DH journal
  • formal agreements/relationships/interop w/NINES, etc.
  • Download link - something somewhere
  • sub group of products working together

Major Ideas and Take Aways

Collections Interoperability - Work Spaces experiment

The CI and WS groups will undertake "joint experiments to demonstrate a means of accessing objects in remote collections from the point of view of a Work Space." Cf. CI-Work Spaces Experiments with Collections.

Principles for selection of collections for Bamboo focus

We drafted principles for selection of collections on which to focus as we proceed with Bamboo Technology Project work. These are recorded in the "Potential principles for collection selection" section of the page January 2011 Meeting - Success Presentations and Notes.

Selection of collections for initial Bamboo focus

Based on the principles we drafted, a list of collections is proposed as the initial focus of Bamboo Technology Project work. These are recorded in the section titled "The Candidate Short List" on the page January 2011 Meeting - Success Presentations and Notes.

It was agreed that TCP would be the first collection worked on so that it will be accessible to Work Spaces users. (MK)

Corpora Camp activities and outcomes

We agreed that the three collections identified by the Corpora Space team are an appropriate choice for the March 2011 workshop activity. We agreed that the functionality to be implemented during the workshop, as described by Travis Brown of U. Maryland, is an appropriate set of functionality. This functionality, briefly, is:

  • To capture and represent relationships between documents in a visual, exploratory way;
  • using methods appropriate for application to simple streams of plain text or text that is simply structured;
  • and presented in an interface that offers users three decisions that will govern generation of the visualization:
    1. selection of documents;
    2. selection of a level of granularity at which to analyze the documents;
    3. selection (from two or three choices) of features of documents to be analyzed.

The desired outcomes of this workshop are an articulation of the best set of principles for Corpora Space design, going forward, that can be derived from the Corpora Camp activity; and the forging of a team ethos that will carry the Corpora Space team's work forward over the Phase One grant period and beyond.

Clarification of the Bamboo Technology Project audience

We clarified the audiences of which Project Bamboo needs to be cognizant as we focus, prioritize, and articulate our work. A list of "primary audiences" for Project Bamboo is included in the meeting session notes page titled January 2011 Meeting - Audience, Pilots and Adoptions Presentation and Notes.

Principles for selection of tools for Bamboo integration

We drafted principles for selection of tools that Project Bamboo will integrate, adopt, and/or adapt during Phase One. These are recorded in the section titled "Principles for selecting tools for Bamboo integration / adoption / adaptation" on the page January 2011 Meeting - Adjusting Work Plans Presentation and Notes.

Selecting tools for initial Bamboo integration, adoption, and/or adaptation

We agreed to form a list or matrix of candidate tools and to analyze the candidates against principles drafted for tool selection. A group will be formed to initiate and shepherd this effort, and to perform the analysis. We agreed to complete this work as quickly as possible. Brief summary notes from discussion of this topic are recorded in the section titled "Tools evaluated against the principles above" on the page January 2011 Meeting - Adjusting Work Plans Presentation and Notes.

Communications: new web site

We agreed to consider, review, and engage faculty at our respective institutions in review of the new website design and prominent front-page text within the next two weeks. We will provide feedback to Dave Lester of U. Maryland by February 10, 2011. Dave and team will take feedback under consideration, and synthesize revisions to be rolled out as the initial iteration of Project Bamboo's new, live, evolving website as soon as possible thereafter. In particular, feedback will focus around the questions:

  1. Does the impression made by the website entice visitors to want to know more about Bamboo?
  2. Do visitors understand, on first impression, what Project Bamboo is doing in the current phase?

The draft new website is posted at http://mith.umd.edu/bamboo/. Please e-mail feedback to Dave Lester.

Accelerating Progress follow-up

Because we changed our agenda on Thursday 27 Jan, we agreed that Work Area leads and Marlita (in her role as Project Manager) would hold a follow up virtual meeting to address issues that we intended to address in the meeting agenda item "Adjusting work plans & how we work together," with specific attention to aspects of work enumerated on the wiki page January 2011 Meeting - Adjusting Work Plans Activity.

Follow Up Priorities and Commitments

  1. Process and Work Plan meeting with Work Area PMs and Marlita
  2. Discussion regarding when next partner meeting should be held:
    1. when able to bang on real stuff useful to scholar/nitty gritty useful to scholar to play with
      1. or sorting out time
    2. not too soon
      1. maybe around September - good launch for Phase 2 proposal writing planning and kick off
    3. along with the DH meeting in June at Standford
    4. small group meetings meanwhile to do hands-on work
    5. cf tech workshop CLARIN, DARIA, Centernet, etc, interoperability
  3. Consortium
  4. Work Plans

+/Delta

Conversation regarding what in meeting was positive and what could be improved

+

Delta

ideal location for January

long way from home

table sessions with concrete topic/task

more time for break out sessions

 

plenary discussion lose focus

see bodies connected to voices

better virtual attendee technology

informal interactions

discussion board/threaded discussion for ongoing team work

This right-side column is an artifact of "old-style" navigation. Please remove sections, columns, and content of the right-side column when this page is next edited. Cf. the Wiki navigation changes - July 2011 page for a 'how-to' on removing old-style page markup.