Navigation:
Documentation
Archive



Page Tree:

Child pages
  • W2 Plenary Sharing 4

This wiki space contains archival documentation of Project Bamboo, April 2008 - March 2013.

Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Plenary Sharing 4

Outline of work, milestones, effort


Services Framework

Look at the list of activities and go through them - find tools that exemplify each activity
Long list of grouped activities
Activities are too atomized; what would this mean to scholars?
How do we allow scholars to re-contextualize those activities, given they all came out of workshop 1 where they described what they did
Original storyline was lost in translating information over from workshop 1
Workgroups should try to expand in addition to the activities, to go recontextualize everything
Build stories - scholar/technologist or scholar/librarian pairs; local Bamboo groups might do this work
Try to create storylines; a constraint is that the storyline/scholarly process should be described in terms of those activities - a base vocabulary through which stories are told
That's what the demonstrator is
Urge that these be grounded in reality - something that someone actually does/has done
So, working groups both flesh out activities and build and encourage others to build storylines that recontextualize these
Reconstruct those from the notes from workshop 1
Before break, used examples to figure out how to talk to one another about frameworks
After break, lost the connection of talking to one another - lapse into previous vocabularies
Faculty member prepared to leave - not being heard, was encouraged to stay by the group, and had a remarkable result
"Stories" became the squishy filling in the "Oreo cookie" - this is exactly what we felt was missing early on
We don't agree on what stories means yet, but now we have a common focus



Institutional Support

We also talked about Oreos
Fairly linear discussion - organized such that the group that does that needs to collect and categorize support models for digital models, and other models that could be applied - that work well and ones that don't
Also should create matrix that includes modes of communication, active engagement of faculty, range of financial support, financial sustainability (hard vs soft money), sustainable, impact on teaching/earlning/research, develop infrastructure/technology tools
Environmental scan - demonstrators sound cool, but are there research assistants to do this sort of thing too?
ID and interviewing of leadership in DH activities, societies for DH, what's going on with ACH, Haystack - how can we work together?
Who's had success? What did it take on their campus?
Faculty development group for educating scholars
Demonstrator request: videos or storyboards that depict faculty collaboration that results in teaching/research/and institutional outcomes
Need for ID humanities funding recipients/organization
Compiling list of corporate interests that use different org models of project management that we can learn from
Need to develop ways to articulate the case for Bamboo - demonstrator request for 2 min elevator speeches that demonstrate what/why important for target audiences
Benefits as we make the cases for how it can help hum research, cost of not doing anything
Affects student success/placement; public institutions - outreach to state in articulating advantages of traditional individualistic approach, what are advantages of collaborative
Good at understanding problems, not clear about what PB can do for us, how can it meet needs of variety of institutions (Research, small liberal arts, etc)
Can PB meet the needs of all, or do we need to focus the membership?
Should not be in the business of trying to change culture of disciplines
Need to change culture of the institutions a bit
What libraries/IT folks do to listen to what faculty are trying to accomplish - instead of telling them
Academic support groups are real collaborators, but it has to be faculty drive to succeed



Education and Training

Building skills/knowledge transfer are key in e-Humanities
Scope is important: what should PB do?
Strong partnership with institutions responsible for development is a good way forward
Program of work that could be successful
Teaching and research - key activities of humanists; inseparable in many ways, particularly re: skills you need and knowledge transfer
Imparting to students your research methodologies - need to look at teaching along with research
How to go forward: skills development and knowledge transfer, so what skills and how?
Need examples as a way to start to raise the awareness/skills
Examples: success stories, project reports, use cases, scenarios
Want to see what kind of training materials/programs there already are
Templates for lots of things
Clearinghouses
Knowledge of what kind of tools there are
For research, there's a lot of different ways of doing it (discover, aggregate, annotate...)
Don't want to think about all the possible skills, knowledge, etc. between now and workshop 3, so we're choosing "annotate" as an area of focus
A demonstrator here - for scholars who want to use annotation, what would be some examples? What kind of training materials are there? What could there be? Who's doing what? What kind of templates? Clearinghouses, tools, etc.?
Don't have enough water or heat to make a full pot of rice, but we'll take a couple grains and see what it takes
Didn't want to go all the way with a solution, but imagined a website or wiki that had all this info would be a great place for researchers, support staff, etc. to look in
If the whole PB community had a place to share this knowledge and skill, even if it's just links to courses, that'd be a great help
Similar kind of matrix and skills development for teaching - course planning?



Tools and Content

Milestones: not a lot of time in three months, so what's achievable?
Thought about creating a repository in order to capture what's already out there (what we scoped out in the morning - a discovery and use layer)
Different kinds of integration strategies
"Straw men" that people can comment and react to to get discussion going
Clear needs for demonstrators: demonstrator wiki that would allow us to collect the items for the registry (tools, also could be tagged by the domain/activity/themes/degree of interoperability)
Wiki would allow community to collect what's already out there
How can we cluster the themes that are already there, can integrate into use cases and list the kind of use cases people are doing with those tools?
Demonstrator that would create a template for use cases and case studies
Agreement in the group - very important to not only capture tools and available content, but also the workflow that's attached to those tools - what do people actually do with that? Can capture scholarly activity more precisely and define it by domain
How the tools connect to different scholarly activities
Demonstrators: template that will allow us to define the typical problem - not just a list of tools, but what are they trying to solve? Can they be reused, reconfigured in a specific scholarly process?
Time to get beyond the one-off project - how do you get this into the heads of stubborn, local programmers?
Will this whole deliberative process help us get beyond it, or just create more layers?
How would you divide humanists ("a very squishy term") - simple matrix
"Is your work the object of your attention predominantly pre-digital, or predominantly born digital?"
"Text based, visual, time-based?"
Each of six cubby holes has connections with other things
High-res image of Beowulf manuscript - might talk to people using high-resolution mammograms
Time commitments: who's actually going to do what we're going to do in 3 months?
How do we get the institutional buy-in?
Do I have to ask my boss if I want to be in a working group? No. Can she tell me not to be on it? No. It's different if you're in IT, but that's another problem.



Scholarly Networking (for Scholarship)

My workshop 1 observation: we realized through workshop 1, we identified scholarly practices, tried to get a sense for how humanists do their research
Haven't yet figured out how/why they interact
Networks is about interaction and relationships
Our workgroup tasks: we need to talk more to scholars
Demonstrator: may be asking for catalysts for conversation
How/why do you get together to do work?
Six degrees of citation - how to share citations; do people want this?
How/why scholars connect - not leaving out the learned societies, or duplicating what they're already doing
What's the value added of Bamboo in creating such a network
Finding out what's not doable right now or what's difficult to do - is this something our direction can address?
One model: concierge - a simple, easy profile; bi-directional, can look for other connections
Filters for you the relevant connections (people/tools/resources/etc)
Concept of opportunity for casual conversation - "pub"
Providing toolkit of options so you can do multiple things; work or conversation or finding a citation; can pick and choose and put together in a modular way
See diagram (people in space diagram)
Ways to collect that data that will inform what scholarly interaction is preferred



Leadership

Redefined to focus on principles, be a clearinghouse, make this more about Bamboo as a clearinghouse of information and resources - encompasses elements of all the groups
Need our own space - that's our first element of our plan
We want our own space on the wiki to collect info from all of you - on principles
Want to start working with all the other groups - volunteers from all the other groups as part of Leadership
Work together to establish common principles drawn from work of all these groups
Identifying broad categories of info and resources with input from all the groups for the clearinghouse
Milestones: once we have the space, we need to put out a call to all the groups to give us feedback on the principles
Want call out by Nov 12; if no responses, we would look for those principles implicit in the wiki
Want to get something out of all the groups, whether presented to us or not
By Dec 12, want to have a virtual meeting, before the next meeting we'd have a check-in date for the comments (Jan 3)
What will it take?
This will take buy-in from leadership council and their active participation, along with broad-based volunteer effort from the community
Demonstrators: 2 - presentation or visualization of principles (3 hour demonstrator)
Information architecture for clearinghouse of info (3 week)



Standards

PB's possible role as a clearinghouse for info about standards, existing precedents/projects/etc
Raising the level of awareness, avoid duplication
This info role was also a role that's being claimed by other groups which have an existing community focus
What would the relationship be? (Alliance of Digital Humanities Organizations, etc)
Bamboo could be a clearinghouse of clearinghouses - aggregate and make visible work of other groups; would require agreement on formats of information
Or, PB could work in partnership with one or more organizations - can we make you into the community expression/branch of this need that the group has articulated, but PB doesn't want to take on alone - conserve focus and allow it to put resources elsewhere
Discussion of the degree to which our exploration will have info relevant to other groups
Need information sharing layer/hub that could be the conduit for that exchange
Also some concern/question about top-down vs. bottom-up approaches to various kinds of standards
Challenge of broad enough net around A&H fields and set of standards they might identify as important to get representative understanding of standards and practices
How best to harvest that information and came up with ideas that might work
Important activity of workgroup: rough cut of categorizing standards/practices by rough 3-part distinction: hard/plumbing, squishy middle, practices-based standards
What's Bamboo's response in each case of each specific standard: adopt, recommend, or communicate
CJK: Modeling a process where we could communicate w/ organizations and ask input in various disciplines
Doing decomposition, but also as data is collected, figure out how that data plus any other data can be communicated to the rest of the working groups
Thinking along the lines of stories
Data needs to be told and shared in different ways - using demonstrator models to look at processes that could be extended throughout PB
Sampling the community, how can we collect data and not alienate certain groups?
Standard, tools, and services groups might want to collaborate after this to collect stories



Tools and Repositories II

Registry for discovery of tools/services/content
Need to identify what core services are needed - access to data, common services we can use to access text/multimedia
Identify what demonstrator projects are
Identify rewards and incentives so content providers will trust us
Demonstrator projects:
-Service to get an image that facilitates sharing of content across multiple formats
-Same sort of thing from text; multiple texts from multiple archives and ask a question to analyze across all of them
-Represent discovery of content as well as tool discovery registry
-Entity extraction: extracting people, locations, other things people can specify ontologies for
-Mapping dates to MIT timeline, locations to Google Maps
-Pull annotations across repositories
-Zotero to annotate your collections, then send it to MONK (would have to be text related)
-Scholarly mashup environment - stitch together multiple tasks



Importance of networking

Re: scholarly networking group - at first, interesting spin-off, not what we came here to do
Now, I think it's the most important thing we're doing
"If more people had just gone to the wiki" - why did I go to San Francisco and not the wiki?
The tables are arranged to make us talk and meet each other, wonderful job at facilitating, mix and match at the breakouts, adapted as we've gone - masterfully done in-person event; arranged for the failure of the internet to get us on task
What would the meeting have been if it were just like a wiki?
Would've been a stack of documents outside, 150 people would fly over whenever thew anted, would rifle through the documents, put some post-it notes on the wall, and gone home
Idea of a community in the on-line space is the key thing for the success of Bamboo
If you can do that on-line as well as you've done the rest of this, you've done everything you need to succeed
If you can't, you have 3 more meetings... then "we" have three more meetings



h2 Q&A

Stories that can be reused

In services framework during the agitation stage - in the education group, lined up the research and the teaching sides, is it within PB scope to collect tories about teaching, break down into activities
Institutionally, it'd be a big difference for the liberal arts schools
DAG: Emerging theme or story about the power of figuring out across the working groups the way these stories can be used for multiple purposes
Building them on some of the frameworks provided
Initially, wanted to digest what people said here going into next week and get back to you then
Also, let people sleep on this tonight


What would Bamboo training look like?

What might a Bamboo resource be in the area of skills development and transfer?
All columns of scholarly practice, lots of resources plugging into each of those at different levels (starting off with annotation, etc.)
But the whole resource would be:
1) Cookbook - e-humanities cookbook; 1-3 chili recipes
2) Green diamond, blue diamond, black diamond - black diamond annotation, only for experienced e-humanists
Would adapt to different levels and facilitate people moving up those levels