People OU - Students 2014:
The campus Directory contains records for all graduate, undergraduate, and concurrent enrollment students. The Office of the Registrar is the authoritative source for all undergraduate and graduate student data. University Extension is the proprietor of concurrent enrollment data.
Authoritative Data for Students
The Registrar is the data proprietor for all data LDAP. The campus Directory pulls data from the Registrar daily throughout the year and hourly during Spring admittance.
Types of Students
The CalNet Directory currently supports the following student "roles":
- Admitted but not Registered
- Continuing Student
- New Student
- Re-admitted Student
Account creation - When do records enter LDAP?
- For regular undergraduate and graduate students, the CalNet team pulls data for students into LDAP when students are admitted and before they have returned their Statement of Intent to register (SIR). These records are held in a "pre-SIR" container in LDAP until students have returned the Statement of Intent to Register. For more information, please visit the PreSIR OU page.
- Fall undergraduate admits are added to the Directory within one hour after the student has submitted the Statement of Intent to Register and has paid the initial fees.
- Fall Program for Freshman students are added in April.
- Spring undergraduate admits are added in September or October with the same conditions.
- Graduate students are added in May.
- Summer students are added in May, once they've been admitted to Summer school.
Expiration - When do active student records expire?
The Office of the Registrar is the proprietor for all student data and sets expiration policy for student records. Student records remain active until approximately mid-way through the semester following graduation when the Registrar notes that the student has not paid registration fees. At this point, typically September or October for May graduates, the Registrar terminates the student record and the student's LDAP entry is marked expired.
Grace periods - how long do records remain active after expiration?
Please visit the Grace Periods page for information on how long records remain in ou=people after a record is expired.
Student Affiliations - How to Determine if Someone is a Student
Please see the People OU Affiliations page for information on how to use LDAP affiliations to determine if a someone is a student.
Public and Private Attributes
The CalNet team sets LDAP attributes as public or private in accordance with applicable requirements, such as the Federal Education and Privacy Rights Act (FERPA). Please visit the People Attribute Schema page for a table listing LDAP attributes, the data owner, and whether a particular attribute is public or private.
Sample LDAP Entries for Student Data
Many UC Berkeley students have additional affiliations with the campus, such as a staff or alumni affiliation. Please see the LDAP People Entry Structure page for samples of a person entry with multiple affiliations as well as information on student term sub-entries.