Scheduled DB Maintenance: January 21st - 8:00 AM to 10:00 AM. Confluence will be unavailable during this time.

Versions Compared

Key

  • This line was added.
  • This line was removed.
  • Formatting was changed.

...

Presenter(s): a person or persons (from anywhere on campus) who suggests readings, introduces a topic with a talk or presentation, and answers questions and/or participates in discussion with the reading group attendees.

Doorkeeper: Rick Jaffe or designate, helps deal with locked door when lobby is closed over lunch. 

Host: Usually Steve or Quinn, kicks off meeting, and does a time check just before 1.

Initial steps: topic description, reading/prep selection, preparation of presentation


TaskResponsibleInvolvedDue by
1

Topics have historically been mapped out as a collaboration among Research IT's "Services Leadership Group" – ideally many to all of a semester's meetings are scheduled by early in the term – and rarely if ever are topics selected less than 2 weeks ahead of time (for one thing, the next meeting's topic are announced at each biweekly meeting).

RIT TeamRIT TeamPeriodic
2

reading group facilitator is usually identified when a topic is selected; this is often the person who suggested a topic and/or brokered participation of a presenter; this person generally takes responsibility for confirming interest and availability of presenters / topical experts for the meeting. The facilitator will communicate the date, presenters, and at least a placeholder topic to the coordinator.

FacilitatorPresenter(s), CoordinatorPeriodic
3

The 'canonical' schedule is maintained (mostly be the coordinator/admin) on the wiki page Research IT Reading Group. A topic title (however tentative) is identified at the time that a date is reserved, and entered into the row associated with the reserved date on the top table on that page.

Coordinator

Facilitator, Presenter(s)

As soon as topic/date are agreed
4When a date/topic/facilitator is selected:
  1. the coordinator/admin should change the title of the bCal instance for that meeting to reflect the topic
  2. the coordinator/admin should add the presenter(s) to the bCal entry for the meeting
(whose title should be changed to reflect the topic!); and,
  1. the coordinator/admin should send an email to the facilitator with a link to this wiki page to
the facilitator to
  1. remind her/him of practice/expectation for these meetings
Coordinator
As soon as topic/date are agreed
5

Coordinator will invite the facilitator to provide a topic description (title plus 1-3 sentences). This is usually developed in consultation with the person(s) who will present or serve as topic expert at the meeting. Coordinator will add this to the wiki, and use this in the invitation (see below).

CoordinatorFacilitator, Presenter(s)No later than 8 days before meeting date
6Coordinator will invite the presenter(s) / topic expert(s) to provide selected articles or other material that participants are expected to read/review prior to the meeting. Note that:
  1. The aggregate of all articles / slide shows / videos / blog posts / etc. should take no more than one (1) hour for a participant to read / review. Participants are not likely to have time to review more material than that, and it's worth considering that some participants will rush to cram consumption of the material into less time than that. Presenters / topic experts should choose selectively, and a Research IT coordinator may step in to whittle the materials down if needed.
  2. It's fine to select an hour's worth of material for review, and to list additional / optional materials for future reference; or for review by those who have deeper or more detailed interest in the topic.
  3. Material for review might be provided as links to web-published artifacts; or can be included as one or more attachment(s) to a wiki page created for the meeting with which the material is associated (such wiki pages are children of the wiki page Research IT Reading Group).


No later than 8 days before meeting date
7

Presenters/experts who wish to seed discussion with a short presentation are welcome to do so. Presentations should be limited to 10-20 min. total, so that a good part of the meeting can be devoted to discussion among participants and presenters/experts. Facilitators should discuss with presenters to ensure this is understood.

Presenter(s)FacilitatorDay of meeting
8

The reading group facilitator generally prepares one to three framing questions to give loose focus to the discussion of the topic.

Facilitator
Day of meeting
9

Coordinator will invite the presenter(s) / topic expert(s) to make any presentation materials (slides, etc.) available after the meeting, so that it can be posted along with meeting notes. Note that these are posted on publicly accessible pages of the Research IT wiki (children of the wiki page Research IT Reading Group). Coordinator will update the Research IT wiki with links to the materials (uploading to Confluence as needed).

CoordinatorPresenter(s) Day after meeting

Invitation

It's a good idea to remind the meeting facilitator (usually an Research IT staff person) to forward the invitation to contacts who may be interested in the particular topic but are not subscribed to the RIT Reading Group listserve.


TaskResponsibleInvolvedDue by
1

The coordinator/admin will craft an invitation to each Reading Group meeting, and send it out to the rit_reading@lists.berkeley.edu listserve a week ahead of time (or as soon as possible if delay is necessary). The invitation will include:

    1. title and description of topic
    2. names and affiliations of presenters / topic experts
    3. date/time/location information
    4. links to materials that are to be reviewed by participants prior to the meeting; as well as additional / optional materials (clearly distinguishing between the two)
    5. instructions for those who do not work in Warren Hall vis-a-vis getting into the building (note that the IST reception window is closed during lunch hour, when most meetings occur); boilerplate instructions can be found on the wiki page Research IT Reading Group.

See also examples from the group list: https://groups.google.com/a/lists.berkeley.edu/forum/#!forum/rit_reading

Coordinator
1 week before meeting date
2

The coordinator/admin will (Once again, as it was when the topic was selected, ) send a link to this page should be sent to the facilitator to remind her/him of practice/expectation for these meetings

Coordinator

Facilitator

1 week before meeting date

...

3The coordinator/admin will remind the meeting facilitator (usually an Research IT staff person)

...

to forward the invitation

...

 to contacts who may be interested in the particular topic but are not subscribed to the RIT Reading Group listserve.

...

Coordinator

Facilitator

1 week before meeting date
4

The coordinator/admin will confirm (via email) that a Research IT staff person has been identified (and confirmed) as

...

a "doorkeeper". As of Fall 2017, this is Rick Jaffe, or someone to whom he has delegated the task

...

. The doorkeeper must be at the meeting, and

...

be willing to have their phone number posted in the 2nd floor lobby for latecomers to call. This

...

doorkeeper will monitor their phone and let latecomers through the locked 2nd floor doors.

On the day of the meeting

Occaisionally, the reading group is not held in Warren 200C, but rather elsewhere on campus. In these cases, the doorkeeper may not be needed. Coordinator should confirm this with Facilitator and/or hosts (Steve and Quinn).

CoordinatorRIT Team2-3 days before meeting date
5

The designated "doorkeeper" will create/print a sign for posting in the 2nd floor lobby, including the phone number of the person charged with letting latecomers through the locked 2nd floor doors.

This note will be posted at 12 Noon (or as soon as the lobby closes for lunch).

Doorkeeper
Day of the meeting

Day of the meeting 


TaskResponsibleInvolvedDue by
1

The designated "doorkeeper"

...

 will create/print a sign for posting in the 2nd floor lobby, including the phone number of the person charged with letting latecomers through the locked 2nd floor doors.

...

This note will be posted

...

at 12 Noon (or as soon as the lobby closes for lunch).

This only applies when the reading group is held in 200C Warren (which is usually the case).

Doorkeeper
Day of the meeting, usually at 12 Noon

At the meeting


TaskResponsibleInvolvedDue by
1

A Research IT staff member (

...

Steve, Quinn, or

...

their designee) will kick off the meeting at about ten minutes past the hour ("Berkeley time")

Host
Day of the meeting, 12:10
2

The meeting facilitator will introduce the presenter and frame discussion with the "framing questions" mentioned above

FacilitatorPresenter(s)
3

Presenters / topical experts

...

 will get the discussion going, preferably taking no more than 20 min. of meeting time, but if questions/discussion is interleaved that time is flexible.

...

Presenter(s)

4Discussion ensues...

...

FacilitatorAll attendees
5About 5-10 min. before the end of the meeting, the person who kicked off the meeting will point out the time, and encourage the facilitator

...

to guide discussion back to the framing questions

...

 set out earlier. Host will remind everyone that the room is available until 1:30, and continued discussion is encouraged, but that folks who need to leave at 1 should feel free to do so.HostFacilitator12:50 or 12:55