DEPARTMENT: IST Data Services - FY11 Goals
The following represents a core set of themes, principles and goals for IST, Data Services - FY11 Goals
IST areas of focus
Areas of focus represent key thematic elements around which IST will organize activities. Strategic directions and activities will be evaluated within the context of these key areas.
IST strategic directions/activities
M - Good management
Ensure the success of each person within the organization; exercise our responsibility and opportunity to affect positive change within the organization.
- Align the skills of our professional staff with our strategic directions.
- Match compensation to broader equity considerations.
- Apply sound financial practices to business operations.
- Manage services against multiple time scales (short term, long term).
- Invest in and apply basic project management.
- Leverage accessible and practical portions of existing frameworks (eg. ITIL).
- Benchmark internal service cost against external offering.
- Invest only where we bring the highest value.
- Appropriately secure digital assets.
- Identify and acknowledge positive actions.
Y - Efficiency
Improve organizational value (benefit/cost), productivity and alignment based on institutional direction; Drive services to appropriate scale or eliminate niche products.
- Increase impact (broader demographic, higher dollar value).
- Increase standardization (common solutions/components).
- Scale solutions.
- Prune niche solutions.
- Leverage external providers/resources (eg. services, labor, etc).
- Simplify and rationalize processes.
- Control development, operating and support costs.
- Fully support campus Operational Excellence initiative.
E - Engagement
Provide a positive customer experience from beginning to end; ensure that the portfolio of services is relevant, cohesive and rational to our community.
- Focus on the customer perspective.
- Promote financial transparency.
- Differentiate internal products.
- Meet all delivery commitments (scope, schedule, resources).
- Make decisions based on community considerations.
- Maximize positive results; minimize negative impacts.
- Production outages receive highest priority.
P - Partnership
Provide IT knowledge and direction so that the community can be successful in pursuit of the university mission of research, teaching and service; IST will be generous with their time and knowledge.
- Advance scholarship through technology.
- Cultivate data as a campus asset.
- Foster community and collaboration.
- Support open source initiatives.
- Support IT at the campus and system level.
- Work with other IT Groups to provide services.
- Engage campus technology thought leaders.
and the units within Data Services.