Introduction and background
Funding agencies and the public are requiring scholars to have specific plans for the comprehensive management and sharing of data. While this is most evident in the sciences, scholars in other fields are also relying on data sets, information sources, and information processing workflows for their practice.
Although planning for data management and sharing will vary from project to project, some general frameworks developed by others can help understand the different kinds of information that might be needed in a data management plan. The California Digital Library's University of California Curation Center (UC3) recommends that scholars think about data management during different phases of the research life cycle
- Creating your data
- Organizing your data
- Managing your data
- Sharing data
This comprehensive approach will demonstrate that your project has plans in place to manage data throughout the project.
UC Berkeley IST resources
- Staff in IST Research and Content Technologies can respond to your questions about data management via the firstname.lastname@example.org
- Storage and backupbackup
- The Research Hub -- for research data management and project collaboration (10GB free for campus scholars, additional storage available for purchase).
- Drupal -- for websites and web applications | See IST Drupal Cloud Hosting (email@example.com), Berkeley Drupal Users' Group, CTS Drupal Consulting (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Berkeley Scholars (OpenScholar) -- Free easy-to-use tools for building and maintaining personal academic websites. Service includes great tools for sharing publications and research data. Campus pilot begins in January 2012.
- OpenAcademy -- Drupal-based templates for academic departments and research projects. Under development in Spring 2012.
- Grant-writing assistance and consulting
- Research computing projects: Software, database, and web site development
- Science Libraries @ UC Berkeley
- Preparing data management plans for NSF grant applications
- Scientific Data Services
- To consult a UC Berkeley Librarian, please contact email@example.com
- California Digital Library's UC3 (University of California Curation Center)
- Data management guidelines
- Data management planning tool - soon-to-be-released tool that will step you through the creation of a data management plan
- UC San Diego's Office of Research Cyberinfrastructure
Resources for specific domains