This is provided as a discussion draft for Bamboo T&CP WG Dec. 12 conference call as a means to jump start our conversation and ensure concreteness. Page will be updated after our conference call.
Definition of "demonstrator" remains a bit murky, but based on my limited understanding of what's wanted, here's a preliminary template. Plan to discuss during our conference call and refine as needed over next couple of weeks.
Template for Tool & Content Partner Demonstrators (can be reordered)
1. Demonstrator title
2. Summary -- a few sentences or a bulleted list addressing in particular: What's the digital humanities research problem addressed by this demonstrator? What's the solution or approach demonstrated or illustrated? How does the problem - solution/approach pair relate to Bamboo goals?
3. Applicability -- described potential scholarly domains and practices addressed, tools & content exploited. Be sure to distinguish between the scholarly practice(s) addressed, the technical approach illustrated, and the specific tools and/or content used. The intent is not to surface individual tools or collections as much as to show how an infrastructure project like Bamboo might be able to enable or facilitate interaction and interoperability between scholarly tools and content. That said demonstrations will be more compelling if they show off quality tools and content of interest to segments of the digital humanities community.
4. Links -- to tools or content exploited and to published or unpublished discussions of the scholarly practices being supported.
5. Making it concrete -- narrative and screen shots or a brief streaming media presentation of the demonstrator. Could use a scenario approach, walking viewer through a simplified scholarly work flow or series of tasks to illustrate main points. If demonstrator is one to be shown from the podium at Workshop 3, may also be able to do limited live demonstration.
6. Additional description, discussion, elaboration as required. Highlight particluar facets of the demonstrator presentation, etc. Avoid running on too long, but this is where can elaborate on aspects of the demonstrator not well represented in demonstrator elements 1-5. This is also where you can elaborate on possible implications for Project Bamboo.