IST-Data Services Wiki
Data Services provides stewardship of both academic and administrative data, as well as tools for data presentation, visualization, analysis, and collaboration. Data Services helps prepare the campus for the convergence of IST, Library, ETS, and appropriate external providers. Our Units include:
An Org-chart is shown at the bottom of this page.
DEPARTMENT: IST Data Services - FY11 Goals
IST Data Services - FY11 Goals
IST areas of focus
Areas of focus represent key thematic elements around which IST will organize activities. Strategic directions and activities will be evaluated within the context of these key areas.
IST strategic directions/activities
M - Good management
Ensure the success of each person within the organization; exercise our responsibility and opportunity to affect positive change within the organization.
- Align the skills of our professional staff with our strategic directions.
- Match compensation to broader equity considerations.
- Apply sound financial practices to business operations.
- Manage services against multiple time scales (short term, long term).
- Invest in and apply basic project management.
- Leverage accessible and practical portions of existing frameworks (eg. ITIL).
- Benchmark internal service cost against external offering.
- Invest only where we bring the highest value.
- Appropriately secure digital assets.
- Identify and acknowledge positive actions.
Y - Efficiency
Improve organizational value (benefit/cost), productivity and alignment based on institutional direction; Drive services to appropriate scale or eliminate niche products.
- Increase impact (broader demographic, higher dollar value).
- Increase standardization (common solutions/components).
- Scale solutions.
- Prune niche solutions.
- Leverage external providers/resources (eg. services, labor, etc).
- Simplify and rationalize processes.
- Control development, operating and support costs.
- Fully support campus Operational Excellence initiative.
E - Engagement
Provide a positive customer experience from beginning to end; ensure that the portfolio of services is relevant, cohesive and rational to our community.
- Focus on the customer perspective.
- Promote financial transparency.
- Differentiate internal products.
- Meet all delivery commitments (scope, schedule, resources).
- Make decisions based on community considerations.
- Maximize positive results; minimize negative impacts.
- Production outages receive highest priority.
P - Partnership
Provide IT knowledge and direction so that the community can be successful in pursuit of the university mission of research, teaching and service; IST will be generous with their time and knowledge.
- Advance scholarship through technology.
- Cultivate data as a campus asset.
- Foster community and collaboration.
- Support open source initiatives.
- Support IT at the campus and system level.
- Work with other IT Groups to provide services.
- Engage campus technology thought leaders.
UNIT: Services Architecture and Development
- CollectionSpace is a collaboration that brings together a variety of cultural and academic institutions with the common goal of developing and deploying an open-source, web-based software application for the description, management, and dissemination of museum collections information. Visit the project wiki or the community site.
- Project Bamboo is a multi-institutional, interdisciplinary, and inter-organizational effort that brings together researchers in arts and humanities, computer scientists, information scientists, librarians, and campus information technologists to tackle the question:How can we advance arts and humanities research through the development of shared technology services? Visit the project website.
- The Delphi project provides a framework of semantic tools and community annotation for museum collections. The open-source toolkit includes linguistic analysis tools and services to produce an easy-to-use faceted browsing UI that makes it simple and fun to explore and understand museum collections. Visit the project website, the deployments wiki, or see it in action on the PAHMA deployment.
- Berkeley Prosopography Services (BPS) is an open-source prosopographical toolkit that generates interactive visualizations of the biological and social connections that link documented individuals, providing a dynamic and heuristic tool for researching historical communities documented in legal and administrative archives. Visit the project site.
Key accomplishments Sept 2008 - Sept 2009
UNIT: Enterprise Data Warehouse & Database Services
Data Services Staff
- DS Staff (all-staff meetings and other content for staff in Data Services)
Error rendering macro 'rss' : java.net.UnknownHostException: dsblog.berkeley.edu