January 26, 2010. Draft 2. Prepared by David A. Greenbaum
Project Proposal to DCIO and IST Directors : Carry out a review project in IST to determine how IST can better coordinate and consolidate the content management services it delivers to the campus. Convene a working group made up of IST & OCIO representatives concerned with content management services. The group will submit recommendations to DCIO and Directors, who will then determine next steps. Complete this project in approximately 6 weeks from start date. Project Sponsors : David Greenbaum and Michael Mundrane.
Need and Opportunity for Project :
- Operational Excellence (OE) need
- Multiple content management services spread out across IST
- Growing demand on campus as evidenced by TAM and MVP analysis
- Growing demand at the level of (a) Personal Information Management, (b) Departmental / Workgroup, and (c) Institutional
- CDL, Library, and ETS connections
- Need and opportunity to strengthen IST management focus on content management services
- Specific skills sets are needed to carry out content management service delivery
- National opportunities
- Now is the time to carry out this analysis as we look at IST priorities, program, and campus Operational Effectiveness
Current Situation in IST (partial picture) :
- MVP in DS
- CollectionSpace in DS
- Drupal – AS (Vahid Nadi)
- Joomla – AS (Vahid Nadi)
- Confluence – AS (Steve Hansen)
- Drupal – COIS (Brian Wood)
- Sharepoint – IS (Michael Leefers)
Project Details :
- We want to investigate the coordination and possible consolidation of all content management services delivery from IST through Data Services, especially DS DRM.
- Convene a group of IST and OCIO representatives from AS, CS, DS, IS, and OCIO. Directors have recommended the following representatives: Patrick McGrath (chair person) and Noah Wittman (DS); Tom Tsai (he will coordinate participation of others in AS such as Vahid Nahdi) (AS); Michael Leefers and Jack Shnell (IS); Susan Tobes and Brian Woods (CS); and Liz Marsh (OCIO and OE Project). Others such as Bill Allison will provide strategic consultation.
- Assess landscape, clarify terms (e.g., what we mean and don’t mean by content management), and develop recommendations.
- Do this in 2-3 meetings over 1-2 months (max). Review proposal at Directors meeting.
- This builds upon discussions that have already taken place. Allows us to strengthen internal IST cross-departmental service and program review.
- NOT in SCOPE for this project: Extensive campus and off-campus review of service offerings and opportunities.
- Kick-off meeting is scheduled for Thursday, February 4 th . By that meeting Patrick McGrath will have prepared statement of project deliverables and plan.